Prominent Citizens – Reverend James Daniel Boberg

man silouette

This week, with Australia Day nearly upon us, I thought it was an appropriate time to investigate whether any Berowra community members had been recognised in the Australia Day Honours. I discovered that there was indeed one man who was residing in Berowra and honoured for his ‘service to the community’ in 1985. This man was The Reverend Father James Daniel Boberg, and he was awarded the Medal of the Order of Australia.

Reverend Boberg is something of a mystery to me though, and my various searches revealed very little, other than that he died on June 7, 1997. Beyond this, I was able to find out next to nothing, other than a comment from a close associate who suggested he was ‘well loved’ and ‘popular’ in the local community.

Do you remember The Reverend Boberg? Can you share a story of this important and honoured member of the Berowra community? If you have a memory, or photo to share, we would love to hear from you!

Elissa

Advertisements
Tagged , , ,

7 thoughts on “Prominent Citizens – Reverend James Daniel Boberg

1. Interesting, although I do not know the Reverend. Lots of ministers in my family, so I was drawn to read this article. Blessings always…….

2. maryjoe7 says:

I do remember that our neighbour at the time (Mrs Rita O’Neill) had him for dinner every Sunday night.

3. Helen Wood says:

Once again I feel it may be appropriate to mention my late husband Jack Wood, an ambulance officer who worked out of Hornsby for most of his career and a well known figure from Brooklyn to many of the northern Sydney suburbs. He received the ‘National Australia Medal for services to the Community’. He was a quiet man who shied away from any kind of praise refusing to go to Canberra or Government House to receive the medal it was eventually presented to him at work by his Superintendent. Although he had known about it for months it was only then that he told me of the award saying ”It’s no big deal, it’s just a medal.” For many, many years he volunteered his service at the Hornsby RSL and anywhere he saw someone in need before dying 25th December 1981 of pancreatic cancer. Even though there would be only very few still living who would remember him this is my way of saying publicly for the first time “Well done Jack, you were a man who really cared about those around you and of humanity in general”

4. Sandra Bryson says:

5. Sandra Bryson says:

Father Boberg had a roast lunch with my Grandmother, Rita O’Neil, every Sunday and sometimes I joined them. I remember him helping to look for my pet turtle one Sunday after lunch. He came out of retirement to serve a latin mass at my Grandmothers funeral in 1990. Father Boberg was a Catholic Priest who also served in the Army.

6. Kylie Harper says:

Father Boberg lived across the road from me on Warrina st. Berowra Heights when I was a young child. He was the priest at St Bernard’s school and church that I attended. I used to deliver his mail to him for a few years whilst I was in primary school. I also used to bring a few classmates with me in the afternoons for his Lolly repentance sessions.
    If you would like to contact me about him you are welcome too.

• Carol King says:

Hi there Kylie and Sandra. I remember Father Boberg so very well. We went to Mass on Sundays, helped clean the Church and he Baptised my three daughters and came to our home to bless our house.
      Much more than this I am keenly interested in his Army service and the years he spent in the Army and where he was stationed and sent to. Could it have been to Malaya or Korea.
      I am extremely hungry for any information.

Carol